Wednesday 11 January 2017

Power Poppy Power and Spark Challenge January

And hello once again. :)

It is a glorious day here in eastern Ontario with brilliant sunshine reflecting off the snow. We had a huge storm yesterday that dumped about another 6" of snow on us. If you stand in the field beside my house it is about up to your knees now. So after a walk in the sun and a visit to my chickens to let them have their turn in the sun I headed back to make another card.



This one is another for the Power Poppy Power and Spark Challenge for January. I watched a video on Jennifer McGuire's blog the other day and have used her technique for this card. Thank you for the idea Jennifer. :)



I chose to use that beautiful spray of blossom and pussy willows from the Bloomin' Wonderful stamp set. I stamped on white cardstock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and then coloured in the image with the Copics shown below.



In her video Jennifer used a coordinating die to cut out the aperture in the two gate fold flaps on the front of her card. Since I did not have a die to use and being the sort of person who occasionally likes to make things as difficult as possible for herself... I chose to fussy cut the opening. 

After tweaking it to my liking several times I passed the two pieces through a lovely swirly embossing folder and adhered to the card. I felt that something was missing so I edged all around the two front flaps with a silver Pilot marker. 



And finally, in order to close it, I added a vellum belly band stamped and embossed in white with the sentiment from Potted Primroses. I did not make the belly band very tight as it would be too difficult to get it past all those little cut out bits. The card more or less stays closed, certainly enough to pop it into an envelope.

Here is a close up of the floral spray inside the card. I do love the look of pale coloured flowers so kept the crocus a pale yellow and the snowdrops have just a tiniest touch of green.



And there you have it. Quite chuffed with the way this turned out and I know just who will be getting this for her birthday.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and of course leaving your comments. It means so much to me. Cheers.

  ~  Melanie  ~




2 comments:

  1. I love how you did this! What a pretty effect with the cut out gatefold design. And those winter blooms with the crocus in yellow... sigh... Yellow is one of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya on the snow girlie, great way to stay inside and stamp. hee hee Keep warm.
    I adore this gate fold card, very clever with the cut out for the shape too. The crocus look wonderful, so very pretty.Thanks for playing in our Winter Blooms challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete